The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending to further their studies in critical scarce skills in the agriculture, forestry and fisheries sectors for the 2014 academic year.
The bursaries will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from poverty-stricken and deep rural communities. Females and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Fields of studies Minimum requirements
(National Senior Certificate)
1. B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering
2. Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc.)
Mathematics and Physical Science 6 (70-79)
3. B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology
4. B.Sc. Food Science
5. B.Sc. Plant Pathology
6. B.Sc. Agric Soil Science
7. B.Sc. Agric Agronomy
8. B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science
9. B.Sc. Geo-informatics
10. B.Sc. Marine Biology
11. B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology
12. B.Sc. Ichthyology specializing in Aquaculture
Mathematics and Physical Science 5 (60-69)
13. National Diploma: Food Technology
14. National Diploma: Forestry
15. National Diploma: Oceanography
Mathematics and Physical Science 4 (50-59)
16. Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc. Hons, M. Tech., M.Sc., D.Tech. and Ph.D.) in different agriculture, forestry and fisheries study fields linked to DAFF priority research projects.
1. It is worth noting that certain study fields are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
• B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu-Natal
• Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.): University of Pretoria
• B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology: University of Stellenbosch
• B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science: University of Stellenbosch
• B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
• B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture: Rhodes University
• National Diploma: Oceanography: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
2. Applicants must be South African citizens.
3. Applicants must complete relevant bursary application forms available from the website address: www.daff.gov.za (Click the following: Food Security and Agrarian Reform Branch then Education, Training and Extension and then careers).
4. Successful candidates will be informed from 27 January 2014, after the National Bursary Committee has finalised the selection process. If you do not hear from us by the end of January 2014, consider your application to be unsuccessful.
5. All completed bursary application forms together with certified copies of ID and certificates/performance results should be sent to the following address:
The Director: Ms Amanda Shokane
Directorate: Sector Education and Training
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Private Bag X250
For further enquiries please contact:
Ms Tshilidzi Netshilema : 012 319 7848
Mr Kaizer Ndlovu : 012 319 7358